Sep 6, 2012

Beetroot Gnocchi

Its been such a long time since I last wrote anything. I would love to blame pure laziness but working and studying full time along with insane weekends of pure adventures has made it impossible to not only write but get into my kitchen to cook. The lovely Mr.B was concerned I had fallen off the blog wagon which I had but I've jumped back onboard now. 


Today I had a rare day to myself, Mr.B is away on business and I had a clean empty kitchen and lots and lots of freshly picked beetroot. What to do with all of them? Well most went to be pickled as I adore pickled beetroot sandwiches and I can safely say that I have enough to feed our little family for the next year. Even with all the jars filled and cooling I had more left. I have been making gnocchi for a long time but it never even crossed my mind to combine in some pureed beetroot with delicious fluffy gnocchi heaven balls (Well that's what I call them). Can you put beetroot in gnocchi? Will it taste good? Who cares I want gnocchi!! The earthy taste of the beets with the soft almost sweet fluffy potato is incredible, plus the hot pink color is just too pretty to not have a bite. These were so good that I stayed up late and made even more. Glutton, perhaps but I need them!

Gnocchi recipes are renowned for the fact that weights and quantities depend on the type of potato, how you cook it, how wet your potatoes are and even the temperature of the room your in. So use what I have below as a guideline, practice getting your gnocchi consistency right and you will never need a recipe to follow again. I like to make a big batch of gnocchi and freeze them for later use. But I would recommend trying a small batch first to ensure you enjoy them.

Recipe: Feeds 3 

2 large Potatoes ( Baked, peeled and mashed )
2 large Beetroots ( Pureed )
Salt and Pepper to taste 
Plain Flour

For the Gnocchi:
  1. Bake the potatoes in an oven or boil until cooked. Peel and mash while hot and leave to cool slightly.
  2. Grate or puree the beetroot into the mashed potato and mix well. Season to taste.
  3. Add a little flour to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, incorporating each before adding the next.
  4. Add enough flour so the mixture is not sticky and resembles shortcrust pastry.
  5. Cut the dough ball into four equal pieces.

Making the Gnocchi:

Take each quarter and roll into a long sausage shape.

Cut each roll into 1 inch pieces.

Gently press a small indentation in the gnocchi pieces, this will allow sauce to stick to the pieces.

When finished lay the pieces floured and separated on a board ready to be cooked or frozen.

Cooking:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer.
  2. Drop in your gnocchi.
  3. When the gnocchi float to the surface they are ready.
  4. Remove with a slotted spoon to either a warm plate or to a pan with melted butter to fry gently.
  5. When all the gnocchi have been cooked, drench in lashings of your favorite sauce and top with freshly grated mozzarella.


No comments:

Post a Comment